Did you know that 90 percent of information transmitted to the brain is visual? Did you also know that visuals are processed 60,000 times faster in the brain than text? With this in mind, it is no longer a shock that up to 85 percent of users are more likely purchase a product after watching a product video.
To boost sales and improve referral ratings, visual stimuli should be exploited at the exact moment that a user is on the fence about purchasing a product. In the eCommerce world, it is far too easy for a user to become lost searching through a vast repository of products. Through strategically placed videos and photos on the product pages of eCommerce sites, casual searchers can be converted into active buyers.
The popularity of User-Generated Content (UGC) on eCommerce sites has helped many companies improve their referral base. For example, Amazon, Rent The Runway, Orbitz, and eBay (just to name a few), have all used UGC to their profitable advantage. At the 2012 Invent Convention, CEO Jeff Bezos astutely pointed out that, “If we can arrange things in such a way that our interests are aligned with our customers, then in the long term that will work out really well for customers and it will work out really well for Amazon.” UGC is a brilliant way to connect with your users and show that their opinion matters; doing so will create a stronger referral base.
Tips to Improving Your Product Referrals through User Generated Content
- Link your users’ photos and videos with the actual products that they are featuring.
- Create a clear path from user video reviews to the product’s purchase page.
- Brand all galleries to create strong visual campaigns that encourage brandy loyalty.
- Encourage users to share their content with their social network. In turn, reward active users by sharing or featuring their reviews and content. This cycle will cause more people to interact with your brand, increase exposure, and thus encourage referrals.
Boosting Sales with Photos and Videos on Product Pages
Did you know that adding UGC to your product page can increase your conversion rate by 5 to 7 percent? In fact, once a potential buyer has interacted with the text, visual, and user review portions of the product pages, they are 3 times more likely to buy the product. Simply offering a user the opportunity to watch product videos in the detail page can cause a 64 to 84 percent buying increase. In short, visual stimuli pushes on-the-fence shoppers to the purchase side of the yard.
- In 2012 viewers were 85 percent more likely to purchase a product after watching a product video.
- In 2013 GoPromotional, a UK promotional product company, added product videos to 4,000 product pages – they saw a 7.5 percent increase in overall conversions.
- In 2014 mobile Internet use exceeded PC or desktop Internet use.
- In 2014 72 percent of executives use their smartphones to research products and services for their businesses.
- In 2014 the average user spent 5 hours and 48 minutes per month watching videos via their smartphone device.
The statistics and market analysis from 2012 – 2014 show that consumers are being greatly influenced by visual stimuli. Additionally, smartphone users are increasingly searching for and watching video content. In conclusion, using UGC at all levels of the sales funnel, combined with the use of videos or photos on product detail pages, will continue to be an effective way to increase eCommerce sales and improve referral ratings.