Deciding how to solicit customer stories
When you ask customers to share their story, you need to give them a stage. In today’s digital landscape, there are multiple ways that you can solicit stories. However, this also means that customers are overrun with requests from other companies and brands.
So, here are a few tips on the best way to solicit content.
- Personalized Emails – this is the most effective way to solicit content, with 77% of customers being more likely to share their story if asked in a personalized email
- Have it come from a person within your company, rather than a generic company address
- Be clear on how and where you’ll use their story.
- Be persistent – a cadence of three emails works best in asking for stories, reminding customers about your request, and giving them one last chance to participate
- Newsletters – this is the next most effective means, but is highly variable based on the placement within the newsletter, your open rates and click-thru-rates, as well as how many competing calls to action there are in your newsletter
- Product Packaging – whether its on the product itself, or included in the packaging, this is a great way to capture customers at the moment of delight, and get them to share their story
- Website homepage – not only does this allow you to show off your stories, but it also is another potential entry point for customers
- Social media posts – this will be highly dependent on your own community involvement, but is a nice cost-free way to get more exposure
- Ads – if you want to get additional reach, use ads to get even more exposure
Interested in learning more? Check out our webinar on The Science of Storytelling to learn more about how you can get started, or check out our Customer Storytelling Campaign Checklist to learn more about what you can do to get started today.